Monday, September 26, 2011

Movies featuring Robert Downey Jr as "the friend" that are better then Sherlock Holmes

Welcome to the first installment of the soon to be regular feature called... wait for it...
TOM'S TOP 7
Top 10 lists are so overdone, so we decided to change it up a bit. So here ya go, the first official Tom's Top 7 list entitled Movies featuring Robert Downey Jr as "the friend" that are better than Sherlock Holmes. (P.S. These are listed in no particular order… and my apologies to Theresa as I know how much you love Sherlock Holmes)

1.      Weird Science is better than Sherlock Holmes because it is an awesome 80's movie, but more specifically, it's a dream, no other universe is parallel to it, it is just 1 fantastical scene after another. Imagine describing it to someone who has never seen it (is there really anyone who hasn't?), it is just like describing the dream you had last night. Just think about it. "So we were in my room and we had bras on our heads, then this chick showed up and everything got all weird. We had this party and my grandparents were frozen in the pantry. There was a missal coming up through the floor that went through the entire house! Then some bikers showed up and I pulled a gun on them. It was snowing in my brother's room, and oh jeez, wait until you hear what happened to my brother..." Do you see what I mean?

2.      Tough Turf- is better than Sherlock Holmes not only because James Spader sings in it, which is enough to make anything awesome, but it also exhausts every movie stereotype about a new kid at school trying to fit in. It is so cliché but Spader makes the movie great. All I have to say is "I walk the night..."

3.      Johnny Be Good- is better than Sherlock Holmes for 1 reason only. Scrawny little Anthony Michael Hall plays a hot shot football player... Give me a break! It is so ridiculous that it is just goofy and entertaining. Gotta love 80's teen movies.

4.      Less Than Zero- is better than Sherlock Holmes because Robert Downey Jr plays a hopeless drug addict who is a bad influence on the hero and is always getting him into trouble. I am not sure why, but Downey Jr really nails this role.

5.      Back to School- is better than Sherlock Holmes because Rodney Dangerfield does the Triple Lindy... enough said.

6.      A Scanner Darkly- is better than Sherlock Holmes because of the super cool animation used when filing this movie. This is a super simplification of what they did but, they drew over the film frame by frame. The visuals in this movie make it worth watching. Oh, and Keanu Reeves is in it, and you know how much I (Colleen, not Tom) love Keanu. I mean, come on, I even have a Keanu bobble head on my desk at work.

7.      Wonder Boys- is better than Sherlock Holmes because it is just a much better movie. Downey Jr plays Terry Crabtree who is the publicist of Michal Douglas, and despite also featuring the googly eyed Katie Holmes, it is a really good flick, even she can’t ruin it.




No comments:

Post a Comment